Amarok article

Leo Franchi Leonardo.Franchi at tufts.edu
Thu Aug 30 15:37:04 UTC 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Follow-up to poster, as I think it makes sense.
>
> Hi!
>
> I plan to write an article about Amarok, alternative music shops such like
> Magnatune.com and the social music revolution for the german Linux print
> magazine Linux User[1].
>
> I plan to have three parts in the article:
>
> 1) Current state of affairs: Amarok 1.4.7
>
> 2) Alternative music shops and the social music revolution:
> - Magnatune.com and possibly others
> - last.fm, Jamendo, possibly others
>
> 3) News from Amarok 2
>
> Its important to me to grasp concepts and ideas behind all of this as good
> as possible. Especially behind the changes in Amarok 2 and what it is all
> about that social music revolution - I am still quite new to it, I bought
> an album from magnatune.com, but I did not yet use last.fm for anything
> else than my dynamic playlists. I usually like to work a with the people
> behind a software, especially when there are questions, so that my
> articles provide more than a feature summary ;-).
>
> Thus I would like to have a contact or two to ask questions specifically
> about part two and three. Would there someone be willing to answer some
> questions as they pop up when I gather information about those two parts
> and possibly also part one? If so, please contact me.

Due to the way development has been progressing in Amarok  2, the codebase is
very modular and developers have generally been working on separate parts of
the code (with exceptions). For that reason, I suggest that instead of asking
for one or two developers to interview, you provide your questions and the
most qualified developer in that area can answer it.

For example, if you have questions about the ContextView, I can answer them
fully, but I would not know how to talk exhaustively about the new Service
system or the new Playlist.

Leo

Leo Franchi                    leonardo.franchi at tufts.edu
210 Tilton Hall                lfranchi at gmail.com
Tufts University
Medford                        cell: (650) 704 3680
MA 02155