[Feedback] Thoughts on simplifying things

phinnvr6 at gmail.com phinnvr6 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:32:48 UTC 2007

Justin sent a message using the contact form at
http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.

Amarok is an amazing player and one of the best all around music programs
out there for any operating system.

I am writing because I wanted to give constructive feedback on the major
design flaws that I've seen. And others I know that have used it have
acknowledged.  Mainly new users.

1) The KDE tabs on the left are somewhat annoying and confusing but I know
that may change with KDE4

2) When I made a new Collection and I want to just play that collection I
can't. I first have to load them (somehow) into a new playlist and play
them from there.  However there is no 1 click way to do this. The only way
I have seen is to goto Playlist and there is an automatic "playall" tab
down there.  So I right click and click "Load" however this NEVER seems to
work. It loads the entire playlist on the right pain but then when I click
on a song I get some error like "Local file does not exist."

This whole design just makes no sense. My girlfriend using it always just
seems to go back to the decade old XMMS I have installed and just uses
that. I really can't blame her, its so simple and easy to use but so damn
outdated.

Anyway so as it turns out to solve this problem if I click "Smart
Playlists" then goto "All Collection" that collection now plays.  All this
crap is kind of confusing and all of it should be simplified for the big
2.0 release (KDE4?).

So there you have it, a couple interface complaints to an otherwise great
player.

Thanks!