Wannabe

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:48:25 UTC 2007

Thanks for telling me about Rokymotion, as I've never heard of it! Maybe we
need a Rokymotion-motion team. ;-)

As for Rhapsody support, there are a couple of points I have:

1.) Rhapsody's Firefox plugin just sucks.
2.) The main reason I enjoy Rhapsody isn't for downloads (I never download
or purchase DRM content anywhere), but for its on-demand capability. It's
just fun for putting together party playlists or listening to that song you
heard on the radio (or Last.fm ;-) ) again.

Apparently a project called "Mugshot" has Rhapsody support as well as a
Linux client. I don't know about the details, but I could check it out.
Also, Rhapsody is all web-based. The Windows client basically uses embedded
IE and their own interface to play some form of authenticated RealPlayer
streams. I also know that the Helix engine itself is available for Linux as
well as for Amarok, and so while it probably won't be easy to implement, it
also seems feasible (to my naive mind).

So while I agree with you on the political points, part of me is just
screaming "Rhapsody for Linux sucks, make it better!"

I'm sure there will be other ways I could contribute to the project, so I'll
definitely check those out, too. Thanks for the informative (and prompt)
response.

Also... I don't know how hard it is to do a SVN checkout, but I don't think
it can be that tough (I bet the harder part is getting the beast to compile,
heh). If worst comes to worse, I can just check the Sabayon overlay on my
Gentoo machine, as I'm sure they'll have an SVN KDE4 set of ebuilds soon.