[Feedback] Samba/Windows Share support

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Thu Apr 12 08:13:07 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 09:39, you wrote:
> Thimios Katsoulis sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> I 've been using amarok fro some years now and I think it has nice
> interface and some very nice features that put it in the top line of audio
> players .
> Just some suggestions:
> 1. Please support samba locations for the media library. I am seeing this
> as major disadvantage for  most linux programs. Windows , do offer this and
> you can work with files stored on shares with any program.  However in
> Linux most programs have difficulties with files stored on shares. In an
> audio player case , having your audio files in a share is the most common
> practice.
> I know I can mount the share and access the files as if they were local
> but it's not the same. Recently I tried setting up kubuntu 6.10 and amarok
> with media files stored on a mounted samba share but taglib gave errors
> about some (20 or so) files..
> Errors are annoying but having your media library (that includes many
> thousands of songs) and not  these 20 files that taglib was not able to
> read is ... priceless..
> Well instead amarok decided to stop (not only once but several times ) on
> 50 , 60 , 80 per cent and ... no media library.....

First of all this is almost entirely a TagLib issue, which handles the
metadata reading for us. We have little influence over the way tags are being
read. Anyway, here are some tips for using Amarok successfully with Samba
shares:

* Use the latest stable version (1.4.5 currently)
* Check this guide:  http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Samba

--
Mark