[Feedback] Samba/Windows Share support

thkatsou at yahoo.gr thkatsou at yahoo.gr
Thu Apr 12 07:39:32 UTC 2007

Thimios Katsoulis sent a message using the contact form at
http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.

Hello
I 've been using amarok fro some years now and I think it has nice
interface and some very nice features that put it in the top line of audio
players .
Just some suggestions:
1. Please support samba locations for the media library. I am seeing this
as major disadvantage for  most linux programs. Windows , do offer this and
you can work with files stored on shares with any program.  However in
Linux most programs have difficulties with files stored on shares. In an
audio player case , having your audio files in a share is the most common
practice.
I know I can mount the share and access the files as if they were local
but it's not the same. Recently I tried setting up kubuntu 6.10 and amarok
with media files stored on a mounted samba share but taglib gave errors
about some (20 or so) files..
Errors are annoying but having your media library (that includes many
thousands of songs) and not  these 20 files that taglib was not able to
read is ... priceless..
Well instead amarok decided to stop (not only once but several times ) on
50 , 60 , 80 per cent and ... no media library.....