More on the playlist

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Sep 14 01:26:49 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Max Howell <max.howell at methylblue.com> wrote:
> Seb Ruiz wrote:
> > Another point is the context browser:  Obviously you've ripped off
> > last.fm here, but there are some interesting points to think about.
> > To begin with, do we need a KHTML part?  Apart from the obviously easy
> > CSS theming, is it truly necessary?  Perhaps we can allow layout
> > theming instead of colour theming, with an xml style format (similar
> > to kopete's styles).
>
> The advantages of using HTML are:
>
> * flexibility, for us that is, you can do many things without too much
> hardship
> * have you seen the cool stuff some artists have done with CSS?
>
> disadvantages:
>
> * Look at the code in contextbrowser.cpp, yuck. But we can fix this with
>   some helper classes.

Using HTML for the Context Browser has overall impeded development in
the context browser I do believe. There's some pretty obvious
usability issues (I'm thinking mainly of places where you click and
nothing happens) that if it was normal widgets wouldn't be an issue.
The code is really messy and we lack HTML experts. So... they would
have to be kickass helper classes

At the same time the fact that the context browser is so pretty is due
to all the HTML. :) But I think QGraphicsView is worth looking into.