Potentially some Xine Engine bugs

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 1 09:49:35 UTC 2006

Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> It plays one track fine and then it bails when moving to the next track
>>> and generally *lots* of popups appear telling me that "Xine could not
>>> initialize any audio output modules.".
>> I used to experience this on Mandriva 2005 with alsa when using dmix on my
>> AC97 soundcard.  This also used to happen when the script manager was open,
>> which somehow locked soundcards that could not do hardware mixing.
>>
>> Assuming you have a soundcard that cannot do hardware mixing, perhaps it has
>> something to do with xine's gapless playback, trying to start the new stream
>> before the old one is finished.
>
> Yes perhaps it is that. I'll disable crossfade and try again (tomorrow
> as my speakers are at work!)

:) Disable crossfade and it works. Cheers for the info.

Perhaps Amarok can handle this more gracefully? It generally jumps
several songs in my playlist poping up a message box for each song it
can't play. which is very bad from a UI perspective. A passive popup
would be better IMO than a message box.

It could perhaps suggest somewhere that crossfading requires hardware
mixing?

Cheers

Col.