From Dan (hydrogen)

Christie Harris dangle.baby at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 01:33:22 UTC 2006

Yarg my rokymotin mates!

Promo's been kind of dead lately, I think most of us got tired of writing
release notice after release notice :)

I was doing some thinking while in the shower, so its probably not that sound,
but here is kind of a braindump.

Our main goal as rokymoters is to get more people to use amarok, even more so
than writing release announcements, we should be trying to get people to use
Amarok.

How can we do this though?  What can we do to convince people that Amarok is
the player that they should use? I think we need to brainstorm on this.

Things to think about:
Features (We have lots but so do most other audio players nowadays)
Community (What makes the Amarok community special?)
Stability (I don't think we want to touch this :) Although 1.4.4 looks like it
will have more bugfixes than any previous release, there are still a ton of
open bugs, maybe if this bugfixing trend continues it will be something nice
to tout, but not yet.)
What else?

Now, how can we get the word out?  Lets ignore another attempt at getting on
another linux user site so that the same users can read what we say and make
the same posts they always do, how can we get fresh blood?

My first instinct is to target the windows crowd, but this would require a
rock stable livecd along with some good incentives to switch to linux.
Things I like about targeting windows users is that when they switch to linux
they will use Amarok because that is all they know, we can get them hooked
before they have an opportunity to try another media player.

I think that if Amarok's stability increases, this will also be a huge selling
point, that is one thing that I can say about windows programs, as much as
they may suck balls in features, they are rock stable.  I would not dare use
Amarok for DJ'ing, because it has such a tendency to do odd things for no
reason and I feel fairly comfortable with Amarok's idiosyncrasies, normal
users would get scared away after the first crash.

What do you thinK?  What should we do to promote Amarok?  Lets brainstorm some
stuff, and then see what we can do.  Ideas do not have to be rational, or
even seem feasible at first, just throw them out and lets work with them.

Dan,

ps. dangle you will probably kill me for grammar and spelling, but I'm tired.