Collection Update

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Wed Oct 25 06:16:59 UTC 2006

Stuart Neill wrote:
> On Monday 23 October 2006 17:28, Andrew Turner wrote:
>> Stuart,
>> I'm sure you realise how old 1.3.8 is and that it's really not
>> practical for us to continue to support it - I, for one, wasn't
>> developing Amarok when it was released.
>
> Ah, now you've made me laugh. Here am I thinking that having installed SLED10,
> which must be all of two months old, I was the bees-knees; and you tell me I
> haven't even reached the ankles [1]. There can't be many projects moving at
> the speed of Amarok development. More power to you. I'm afraid however that I
> will only be able to cheer you on from some distance in the rear as for the
> next few months I am in an area without broadband.

sled 10 is based on suse linux 10.1 (as you note below), which was
released before. and suse linux 10.1 had feature freeze some more time ago.
unfortunately, the feature freeze happened shortly before 1.4 series of
amarok started, so you are stuck with the old version when using
official packages.

sled/sles is "enterprise" stuff where you get long-term stability in
package versions & patches backported to them by the distributor (in
this case novell).

and well, no need for broadband, unless you are getting charged per mb.
now, if you are home user, maybe suse linux (or upcoming opensuse) would
be better for you - it moves at a faster pace, has latest software
available. you don't get that long guaranteed patches and it might be
slightly less stable, but for home use new software might be more
interesting.

i guess it should be possible to install guru (latest amarok and stuff)
packages for 10.0 on sled 10 - but be warned, it also could break things
easily ;)
so, unless that would get you an interesting bill, just leave it to
upgrade overnight.

> Don't know if you should be claiming to offer any support as you may be making
> a rod for your own back. Yours, and others, helpful correspondence is always
> appreciated however.

unfortunately, i doubt novell would put much resources into fixing
problems for multimedia packages.not that i blame them, they have enough
to do in server space :)

>> My advice would be to upgrade Amarok assuming you have permissions to
>> do so, and probably clear your database and start again. If you really
>> want to try and save your scores, have a look at the statistics table
>> (before you upgrade) and try to work out what's wrong with its
>> contents (eg old URLs) and fix them.
>
> I have renamed the old SQLite database and started again. I might get around
> to using some dormant SQL skills if I can find the time.

well, in future i'd suggest making regular backups ;)
also, if you have a lot of tracks (usual advice is >10k), consider using
mysql. it would be faster and probably safer.
  Rich