Fwd: Amarok

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Mon Oct 23 16:47:01 UTC 2006

Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> Subject: Amarok
> Date: Sunday 22 October 2006 04:24
> From: Snorkel Face <snork at adelphia.net>
> To: markey at web.de
>
> Good day,
>
> First, I would like to say that I've been using Linux for over 10 year
> now and your program is one of the nicest, complete and bug-free program
> that I've used in a long time now. I downloaded and have played with it
> about an hour now. It's VERY impressive!! Congratulations.
>
> Two items that I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish are these:
>
> 1. When you select the 'files' tab along the left side, the list of
> files along with small icons show up on the window next to the tabs. Is
> there a way to show just a listing of each file, without the icon? I
> have over 30,000 songs in my collection and the icons take up a lot of
> space when looking through all the files. BTW, I was VERY impressed how
> fast it categorized and sorted them. Fantastic!

i don't know of a way to customize amarok file browser much, but you
could try using only collection browser for doing that - it has a quite
advanced filtering support, several view modes and so on.

also, you can safely use your favorite file manager to move things
around - assuming you are running a recent version like 1.4.3 and you
don't simultaneously move file elsewhere and modify it's tags.
you will not lose any statistics or other data about your music.

and then there's file management support, where you can set files to be
managed by amarok and they are sort (on filesystem) by using tag
information.

> 2. One of the features is that you can click on a button and the program
> picks 50 random songs and displays them. Is there some way that I can
> export those songs to an mp3 player such as the ipod?

you probably are talking about some smart and/or dynamic playlist, right ?
amarok indeed has support for ipods and generally you can transfer any
tracks you like to it (though i haven't used one myself).
which particular version are you running ?

> I know you're probably very busy and I would understand if I don't get a
> response from you.
>
> Keep up the great work.
> Jeff Jordan
  Rich