second sound card amarok - how to select.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 16 14:05:22 UTC 2006

W Eryk Wolski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the tips, I got it "running"..
>
> I like Amarok because of its nice GUI, but it would be much better if
> switching soundcards would be more intuitive. A significant
> improvement would be if amarok could work with 2 soundcards at once.
> It is a bit dissapointing that it is not able to do it...
>
> How difficult would it be to integrate the options that for example
> pytone has into amarok? Having this options, would make Amarok the
> ultimative DJ tool.

I don't know about pytone but I think the ultimate setup would be to get
Xine's JackIt output layer working and a nice Jack patch panel. That way
you can chop and change the output in a simple patch panel kinda way (as
far as I understand it).

Jack is callback based and works very much like core audio on Mac OSX,
so it permits this kind of abstracted change.

Using this setup is should be possible to change the audio device mid
song and have everything "just work".

I've not really had that much success when playing with Jack before but
I think it's about time I try again.

Col.