Tag Clean Up

Stuart Neill stuart at neill.ukfsn.org
Fri Oct 6 21:28:30 UTC 2006

My music collection is now all flac files. However I appear to have bungled
when encoding about 1/3 of the collection by applying ID3 tags rather than
vorbis/metaflac comments. Also rather late in the day I started applying
replay gain when encoding. I'd now like to remedy the situation.

An Internet search shows up lots of scripts for transcoding the file formats
but few for transcoding the tags, a bit of a surprise to me as older flac
files would have used ID3 tags.

Does anyone on this list have or can point me to a script which would
recursively go through my music collection and replace the ID3 tags with
metaflac comments while ignoring files which have been properly tagged?
Similarly, I'm looking for a script to apply replay gain where missing.

I realise that the above is not strictly an Amarok topic (indeed Amarok
handles either type of tag seamlessly), however, as tagging is the basis for
getting the most out of the application, I hope you will indulge me or point
me toward a more suitable mailing list.

On the subject of replay gain, I am a little fuzzy on the difference between
the track and album values. How does Amarok handle this?

Once the tags are all metaflac values, I intend to add DISC= and multiple
ARTIST= tags to deal with multi CD issues and collaboration discs
respectively. A little experimentation shows that my version of Amarok
(1.3.8), ignores these fields. I do seem to recall however an announcement,
changelog or posting to this list stating that vorbis comments were now fully
supported. Would a more recent version support thes tags?

TIA
--
Stuart Neill