Amarok performance tuning

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:52:06 UTC 2006

Hi all!

I've came up with an idea of writing an article about speeding up Amarok. This
comes mainly from experience with my old laptop. So, could you please
evaluate this actions, and rate (from 1 to 3, 1 - (almost) not noticeable
speed improvement, 2 - minor, 3 - major speed improvement) and/or comment
them:

-changing engine (which engine is the fastest one?)
-installing newer/older version of engine backend (i.e. xine-lib 1.1.1 vs
1.1.2 etc)
-changing db backend (and to which one?)
-disabling ratings
-disabling scores
-disabling moodbar (is it even available in non-svn releases?)
-disabling transparency in OSD
-disabling OSD
-stopping scripts (lyrics, etc)
-changing context browser theme (is the default one fastest?)
-hiding browsers
-displaying only mainwindow / only playlist
-selecting no analyser
-removing analyser widget from toolbar
-hiding toolbar
-using custom or kde icons?
-disabling last.fm services
-decreasing default cover sizes
-disabling crossfade
-not using dynamic playlists

So what are your opinions? Do you know other ways to speed up Amarok?

Thanks,

--
Ljubomir Simin
Registered Linux User #351181