Amarok - bmp integration

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Nov 22 11:04:40 UTC 2006

Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> To achieve this I hacked:
> 	- bmp, to call system("amarok /path/to/some/file"), and bunch of system("dcop
> amarok player play/pause") etc
> 	- Amarok, to provide playlistFinished script notification
> 	- python_qt_template.py, to run "os.system(bmp --fwd)" on playlistFinished
> event

Awesome!!! Totally pointless for me, but totally love it none the less :D

> What do you think about all this? It's great fun for me, and I'm sure some
> people will be interested in such "xmms skins support for Amarok" :D. But I
> want to ask for your opinion before eventually releasing it. I don't want do
> to anything which might harm Amarok or bmp projects, and this whole thing has
> very hackish nature.

If you approach it correctly and are open about the hackyness I can't
see how anyone could take offence at it! Just be honest about it all on
the website you choose to release it on and I'm sure some people will
love you for it!

> PS. "playlistFinished" notification could be very handy for makers of
> alternative GUIs, so you would might think about adding it. I would post a
> patch, but I don't know how to make one :)

Don't know if you mean you don't know how to make a patch or you don't
know how to change the C++ code, but if it's a matter of making a patch,
you should have one clean path of the source and one modified version
(e.g. folders called "orig" and "hacked") you can then do:

diff -ur orig hacked >mypatch.diff

If you are working on an SVN checkout it's even simpler in that you only
need to do:

svn diff >mypatch.diff

Col.