iRiver ifp device integration

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at gmx.net
Fri Nov 17 09:50:14 UTC 2006

Ljubomir,

isn't libifp support build in into amaroK (as distributed via Debian/Kubuntu)?

It's not that I'm afraid of compiling the source, but I would lose the
possibility to update the Kubuntu Desktop "the Debian way".  :-(

There is a Debian package for libifp, and I think I even have it
installed. If amaroK can manage iFP devices without recompiling how do
I enable support?

BTW, I have found a BLOG article (by Seb Ruiz, November 20. 2005)
about iFP device support in amaroK:
- http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/70-ifp-its-in!.html

Is this what you get by - and only by - compiling the amaroK sources?

Peter

2006/11/17, Ljubomir Simin <ljubomir.simin at gmail.com>:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 10:11, Peter Bittner wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > (I'm new to this list, so sorry if this sort of question has been asked
> > before!)
> >
> > I have seen some sort of iRiver device support somewhere on amaroK, I
> > believe it popped up when I plugged in our Canon IXUS digital camera.
> > I am since then wondering if there could be integrated support for
> > iRiver IFP device for drag-and-drop of music files to the player.
> >
> > I am currently using libiriverdriver (by Joe Roback) and kio_iriver
> > (by Thomas Loeber) as a more or less working integration into
> > Konqueror (on a Kubuntu Linux box). 'More or less working' because I
> > need root access (via sudo or kdesu) in order to write to the device
> > and the kio-client need manual intervention (refresh via pressing F5)
> > after file or folder creation.
> >
> > Both can be found at:
> > - http://roback.cc/projects/iRiver/
> >
> > ... or via the Related Projects section on the ifp-driver project site:
> > - http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > My wife is a heavy user (and fan!) of amaroK but our iRiver music
> > player (iRiver IFP 899) remains unused recently because she does not
> > see a nice, 'simply working' solution to manage (or sync) file with
> > the iRiver music player.
> >
> > So, is there some plugin system, similar to the Kopete concept or so,
> > for device integration? Is there some work going on? What must be done
> > to neatly integrate the device?
> >
> > Cheers, Peter
>
> You need libifp:
> ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/libifp/