Introducing Project Opus

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:32:21 UTC 2006

Hi David.

For our recent 1.4.4 release we added support for the Magnatune.co music
store into Amarok. Following that we have had a few mails from other
parties, like yourself, who are interested in a similar arrangement. I will
start by repeating one of my previous answers to such a request.

"Personally I would love to integrate your (and any other interested
DRM-free music stores) into Amarok if we can find a nice clean way of
doing so. At the moment however, I think we, the Amarok crew, really
need to polish the music store concept with the one we already have
before branching out. This is very much a learning experience for us,
and we are getting tons of feedback and suggestions we need to look
at.

Also, it might be beneficial to work out some standard interface that
music stores could follow that would make integration with 3rd party
programs easy instead of us having to write a completely new
integration each time. Off the top of my head I'm thinking something
along the lines of a xml schema for publishing the store catalogue and a
standardized purchasing and downloading interface.

These are my thoughts at the moment. I am definitely interested in
working with you, but I really think we need some time to learn from
what we already before really committing to any new partnerships."

As far as I can tell from you site, your service goes somewhat beyond that
of a "mere" music Store but I think most of my reply above is still valid.
So the interest is definitively there, but we need some time to iron out
what we already have and to figure out how to proceed since there seems to
be a lot of interest in this kind of integration.

These are purely my own thoughts since these subjects are very much open to
discussion within the Amarok project at the moment.

- Nikolaj