amarok & flac

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:40:07 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 22:55, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 6:09 pm, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > Art Alexion wrote:
> > > Is the failure of amarok-xine to support flac files a Kubuntu thing or
> > > does it affect all of the 1.4 releases?
> >
> > Also, a good test for whenever you're trying to figure out if a problem
> > playing a format is related to Amarok or the xine libraries is to fire
> > up xine-ui (usually just "xine") and see if you can play the file.  If
> > you can't, it's a xine problem; if you can, it could be an Amarok
> > problem.
>
> It seems from my experience talking to people on #amarok that the xine
> can't play flac files that are tagged with id3 tags.  If the tags are
> stripped, the files play fine.
>
> Apparently some Windows encoders use id3 tags instead of vorbis comments
> when tagging files.

Well, yes and no.  At least I am getting closer.

Yes, it seems xine can't play flacs with tags, but plays flacs without tags.
No.  Vorbis tags don't play any better.  I write my tags using easytag, and
this stops them from playing.

Is there another engine compatible with kubuntu dapper that doesn't have this
problem?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @