support for user-definable labels

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Tue Nov 7 14:47:36 UTC 2006

Angus Prune wrote:
> The problem I see with the score at the moment, is that if I have my
> whole collection on shuffle I end up skipping lots of tracks I like
> but aren't in the mood for.  This adversely affects the track's score,
> although clearly this matters less with a more mature library and
> scores.

as your suggestions seem pretty complex and even if they are
implemented, it would take quite some time, here are some tips to make
scores slightly more useful :

1. you can temporarily disable scores
	a) dcop amarok collection disableAutoScoring true
	of course, to enable, use the same with 'false' :)
	b) by stopping the scoring script

note that first way also disables updating of the playcount, which is
more desirable if you would like to keep your score data (default score
script takes into account playcount when calculating scores).

2. if a track is paused, pressing 'next' will not update it's playcount
and score

3. you could use even less-impulsive scoring script. these scripts use
pretty simple calculations, even i was able to grasp them, so maybe you
can modify default one and save it as "myscores" or something :)
> Perhaps my idea shouldn't be applied to labels, but to a new concept
> called moods, of which a person might have half a dozen or so. (happy,
> sad, party, mellow etc etc)  although I feel this is needlessly
> complicating things.

we currently have scores and ratings, and labels are coming in next.
adding 'moods'... might be too much for most users :)
and it would be confusing with already existing 'moodbar' :)
  Rich