support for user-definable labels

Angus Prune angusprune at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 12:31:21 UTC 2006

On 06/11/06, Mark Jaroski <mark at geekhive.net> wrote:
> Seb Ruiz wrote:
> > But, to do this, it would still be very helpful to know what sort of
> > data is needed by the applications. Might be pretty obvious, but i'm
> > sure we can think of some obscure cases.
>
> The main place where I see labels being useful is in the
> creation of smart playlists.  I suppose there are probably a
> couple of others things to do with them though.

What I would like, and I haven't plaid around with the labels already
in Amarok, so send me on my way if its already in there, is for
different scores to be held for different labels.  For instance one
track may develop a score of 70 for the label 'happy' but a score of
10 for the label 'music to commit suicide to'.

When you are playing music you would specify the labels that apply to
your mood, for instance you would label the current session as 'happy,
getting ready to go out, rock" or "work, relaxed, chilled" and changes
to the score would only apply to those labels.

The way I see it is that in effect every track would have every label
except for those that aren't applicable the score would develop to be
very low, and for labels that are applicable the score would develop
to be high.

Your smart playlists, when you say you want them to contain a label
'rock', would instead be a smart playlist defined as 'rock' with a
score greater than 60.

What do people think of this idea?  What aspects of it are already
implemented?  How feasible is the rest of it?

James