User Usability and Layout Complaints

Kelly Miyashiro mallow005 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 16:17:38 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

I've been seeing a lot of solicited user comments on the new layout etc, but
most of these comments are either polarized or not very helpful in coming up
with the best solution to a problem. I don't know if you guys remember but I
sent out an email a few months ago detailing my plans for gathering concrete
evidence of pitfalls and design breakdowns as well as solutions. I sent out
an email to Leinir but I'm not sure if he got it (hope you get this email,
Leinir!). Here is an excerpt of what I wrote:

--
"First of all, I would like to know how usability has been taken into
account in amaroK. I know there has been a lot of layout changes being made,

I've been seeing a lot of debate about how to release the new layout changes
(beta or wait for new release), and I must say that both of them are not the
best ideas. However, since I came late and those two seem to be the choices
that people are set on, I was hoping to work focus on after the new layout
changes. The reason for this is, controlled user testing of the proposed
changes should be conducted BEFORE unleashing it upon an unsuspecting user
base. If you are going to be relying on a lot of opinions of the users after
they use it, you will be getting a lot of unreliable data and noise and it
will be difficult to decide which complaints are valid and which aren't."
--

I also said that I've had interest from other people in forming a usability
testing team here in San Diego, and I thought that other regional usability

Sorry for the long email!

--
-Kel