character set issue (was: multiple instances of amarokapp)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Tue Jun 27 00:47:48 UTC 2006

> On Monday 26 June 2006 8:15 am, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > On Monday 26 June 2006 01:56, T.R.Shashwath wrote:
> > >Apparently, Ubuntu does
> > > enable NPTL with their glibc and Fedora doesn't.
> >
> > Another fine reason to choose Fedora. </end sarcasm>

Thanks to everyone for the various helpful replies. I have one more
issue  with respect to differences between amarok running under Fedora
and running under Ubuntu.

I have many audio files with accented characters in the filenames and
in the ID3 tags, mostly generated using grip configured to write tags
in UTF-8. Everything looks fine in amarok under ubuntu. But under
Fedora, the accents get hosed. Here is a screenshot playing a
Brazilian album:

http://lim.nl/amarok-fc5.jpg

As you can see, it is not a pretty sight; Portuguese has a lot of
accents and they are getting mangled. When amarok under FC5 uploads
the titles to last.fm, they also contain these corruptions. Under
Unbuntu, however, none of these problems arise.

To be sure, the files really are the same; they are hosted on my FC5
desktop and I access them on my Ubuntu laptop via NFS.

I realize this probably may not be an amarok problem per se, but I do
see that the accented characters are displayed properly when I open
the playlist in K3b, the only other kde app I use on a regular basis.
I'd be most grateful is someone can help me sort this out.

TIA

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam