multiple instances of amarokapp

T.R.Shashwath trshash84 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 05:56:35 UTC 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 06:25, Colin Brace wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Paul Cifarelli <paul at cifarelli.net> wrote:
> > Of course, how many will usually depend on what engine and
> > even on how that engine is configured.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. What was confusing me was that under
> Ubuntu, which I run on my laptop, amarokapp uses just one thread, the
> difference being I guess that on my desktop box running Fedora I have
> it configured to use realplayer while on the laptop it is using xine.
>
> > The 2 child processes are used to create crossfades, if you
> > were wondering...
>
> Hmmm, I do have crossfades enabled under Ubuntu, but I only see the one
> process.
>
> No big deal, just wondering.
>
> FWIW, on both systems I am using v1.4.0

It's called NPTL or Native Posix Thread Library. If glibc is built with NPTL
enabled, it'll do the right thing with regard to threads (ie, show multiple
threads only once and report memory usage after accounting for shared
memory). If NPTL is not enabled, you can end up with more memory being shown
used than you actually have RAM+swap... Apparently, Ubuntu does enable NPTL
with their glibc and Fedora doesn't.

> On 6/26/06, Seb Ruiz <me at sebruiz.net> wrote:
> > Additionally, it isn't using 800mb of memory, 90% of that is all shared.
>
> Erm, virtual memory is shared??? I thought it was swapped to disk.

If you have two threads of the same program, both real and virtual memory are
shared between the programs. It's both shared and swapped. :-)

Shash
--
"Where shall  I  begin, please your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,