Layout feedback - are you sick of it yet? ;-)

John Mulligan phlogistonjohn at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 23:08:38 UTC 2006

Just fired up my newly compiled beta to get a chance to try the new UI
firsthand.  After playing with it for a few minutes I'm going to have to
throw my hat in with the doubters.

I think this location is much harder to use than the former.

First off, the box is way too wide and somewhat hard to follow. I think this
can be attributed to the same reason that newspapers break their text up into
many narrow columns. It's much easier to read and follow things things that
way.

Some of the stuff is kind of funny looking too, but that can probably be fixed
via CSS.

Another thing I noticed is that my mouse has to travel much larger distances
than before. Working with the collection, then viewing current track
information, reading some lyrics... my cursor pretty much stayed on the left
hand side of the screen before. Now it seems like there is much more
back-and-forth mousing involved.

As as side note, I see that the clear playlist button moved... took me a while
to find it. Maybe I use it a lot more than other people though?

I think I had a third valid point... but now I can't remember it! :-)
Anyhow, I hope this was constructive criticsim. I really love amarok and
follow every release with much anticipation.

Keep up the good work!

John M.