Custom Context Browser Sections Patch

Christie Harris dangle.baby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 06:29:40 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 13:17, Bradley Pesicka wrote:

> Known issues:

> - Some sections, expecially the last.fm wiki, can take up large amounts
> of a row.  If there is a good way to set the maximum size that an
> element can be, please let me know. I tried to use max-width in one
> place, but that does not seem to be working.

Can the number of artists fetched be limited, perhaps? Maybe to top 10 or 20.
Generally, these would be the *most* similar anyway, and I'm sure it'd be a
faster retrieval. THis would also help keep the height shorter when on the
same row as other scripts.

One improvement I'd like to see, is the ability to perhaps be able to specify
the placement of the script box (maybe in a script configuration dialogue?)
as in, which row it should appear on. Mainly because some scripts, for
example the wiki one, bring in a lot more data to be displayed, as you said,
and should probably be displayed on their own row.

Alternatively, perhaps this could replace wikipedia eventually as the wiki
lookup on the artist tab :D

> - Seperating the sections on the same row is done rather haphazardly at
> the moment.  It works, but it does not look very good.

At the moment, long album names don't wrap in Standard Artist Album - this
tends to throw the formatting out a bit.

I also don't seem to get anything showing up for Suggested Songs - the box
disappears once last.fm data is fetched.

> - Some of the scripts use a caching mechanism to speed up content
> generation. That cache never expires.

Could this be what's stopping the redrawing if I stop a script? At the moment,
I have Albums and Favourite Songs by the previous artist, while the currently
playing info and last.fm stuff updates properly. Stopping a script doesn't
seem to remove it from the context browser - it just stops updating. Then on
restart, if I have 'resume playback on start' checked, Only the Current Track
stuff shows up, until song change. After that, only the scripts I want to run
are running.

> - I don't know if the scoring/rating works or not. I have the dynamic
> collection patch that may affect it and don't feel like removing it.

It's partly working I think - I get ratings showing up in the current track
info - but not in Fave Songs.

> Eventually I would like to see all the content in the context browser
> (home, podcast, streams, etc.) generated in scripts.  I find that
> scripts are very flexible and are a large part of what makes Amarok
> wonderful.
>
> I would appreciate any questions, comments, suggestions, bug fixes, etc.
> that you have.

This is an awesome proof of concept! The last.fm tag cloud rocks :)

Cheers!

Christie