comments on new gui

Jan Callewaert jan.callewaert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:25:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just installed Amarok 1.4.1 beta 1 and maybe I could share my thoughts.

I actually quite like the new gui, 'cause it gives you a much clearer view on
the playlist. However, the disadvantage is that you can't get a complete
overview anymore in one glimpse of the eye of the information about the music
about that artist, which I find quite annoying.

Moreover, the space could be used more efficiently in the music tab. For the
information that is present, a whole screen width is simply too much. Most of
the entries consist of the entry <artist> - <songtitle> with in some cases a
rating. It occupies the entire screen width, while in the playlist the same
information is present but much more condensed.

I have two suggestions for this:
- The information of most played albums, songs, ... which is currently only
available in the statistics menu or when no song is playing could be added to
one side, divididing the occupied screen use in two for each component.

- The music and lyrics tab could be merged. After all, the music tab consists
of information about the currently playing song, which also includes the
lyric. And one line of a lyric almost never is as long that the entire screen
width is needed.

Just my pick, there are some possibilities with the new lay-out but it still
needs some fine-tuning.

Regards,

Jan