[Fwd: amarok-xine suggestion]

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Mon Jun 12 14:27:14 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 6:57 am, Max Howell wrote:
> I have a USB headset, and it is recognized by ALSA as hw:2 device. It
> would be nice to have a "fallback" device, so that I could configure
> hw:2 as primary, and, if it fails (unplugged) fall back to hw:0.

This is something that I can vouch for as something that would be a good
feature.  I have a usb dac/headphone amp that gets setup as hw:1 by alsa.  no
problem if I set xine engine to use it, everything works fine.  But, if the
device is not plugged in, i.e. the alsa device is not present, xine engine
cannot load, but there is no way to configure xine from the amarok gui to use
the default hw:0,0 device.  So we have an endless loop, you can't load xine
engine to configure, but you can't configure because you can't load.  I
always have to shut down amarok and hand edit the xine config if I want to
use the onboard sound.
--
Greg