a road map for 2.0

Dan Meltzer hydrogen at notyetimplemented.com
Sat Jun 10 19:42:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 10:33 am, Ian Monroe wrote:
> I posted a possible road map for development over the next ~year on
> the wiki. Basically I was just putting together ideas we talked about
> at K3M and in IRC.
>
> Its at:
> http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/Road_map_for_2.0
> Devs should feel free to expand on the road map or add alternatives.
>
> And for those that can't be arsed to open the wiki:
>
> One possible road map for 2.0:
> *Work continues on 1.4 in trunk. People who want to can work on
> Gabór's 2.0 branch.
> *At about 1.4.4, trunk is copied into a seperate branch. The Qt 3 to
> Qt 4 scripts are run on trunk and it is made into a compilable state.
> *Make trunk somewhat functional with Qt 4 and kdelibs4, copying in
> work from the Gabór's 2.0 branch (such as ThreadWeaver and
> Multitabbar)
> *Remove KDE dependencies. Doing so will allow the #amarok crowd to
> continue testing SVN trunk (the kdelibs4 dep would stop most of them
> probably) and give us a solid base to develop from and on multiple
> platforms. The output of kconfig_compiler could be commited to SVN or
> made part of the tarball creation process. We might have to hand code
> some stuff to emulate KConfigXT still during this interm period.

Is the intent to (eventually) make Amarok not depend on KDE at all? or just
have it as an optional dependancy? Would this not require a whole lot of
coding due to the amount of kde-specific stuff?
> ===Woohoo, 2.0===
>
> :*Refactor CollectionDB, Playlist and the Engine to create the
>
> well-designed "core."
>
> :*Add nifty features that take advantage of the core. Consult usabilty
> : experts. *A Phonon engine with a KDE4 dependency could be created at this
>
> point. Actually any of the plugins could continue to depend KDE.
>
> :*Perhaps have some Qt-only beta releases.
>
> *As KDE 4 matures, re-add the KDE dependency. Take advantage of Solid etc.
> *Amarok 2.0 tarballs are given to distros along with the KDE 4
> tarballs and it is officially launched the same day as KDE 4.

If the goal is for only optional kde stuff (see above) why ever remove the
dependancy? why not just keep it, but slowing work away the stuff that
requires it?