Gst 0.10 "Roadmap"

paulc2 at optonline.net paulc2 at optonline.net
Thu Jun 8 17:35:29 UTC 2006

I think I'm starting to make some progress on adding better stream support into
the gst 0.10 engine, and, although I've mentioned what I'm doing to a few
people on irc, I thought a more general notice would be in order, since I'm
only on irc about 3 hours a night.

What I'm working toward is reinstating Mark's Shoutcast StreamProvider class,
except in gst 0.10 engine rather than in Amarok proper (notice the spelling :)
- and having it feed an updated streamsrc like it was in gst 0.8.

I'm doing this because neither gnomevfssrc nor neonhttpsrc support metadata in
their currently released versions, and because even when they do they have
dependencies that are not desirable for some users.

Consequently it was my idea to allow either builtin stream handling or
streamprovider depending on the setting of a configure parameter.  So something
like --with-gst-builtinstreams or --with-gst-streamprovider or something like
that (suggestions welcome).

The first thing I'd like to know is if this is something that is considered
desirable, or if there are reasons why we wouldnt want to do this and I've been
wasting my time.

Second, we used to advertise that we handled 'all stream types supported by
KIO'.  In later gst 0.8 versions, it seems that we were only handling http
streams, unless I'm reading the code wrong, but it would be a small matter to
have local files handled by gst filesrc, http streams handled by
streamprovider,  cds handled by the cdda, and 'all others' handled by KIO.  Do
we want to get away from KIO streams?  Another thought would be to add
yet-another-configure option to allow KIO streams.

So, I welcome comments...

Paul