willing to help: NJB mediadevice

T.R.Shashwath trshash84 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 16:16:07 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 20:28, Andrew Barr wrote:
> BTW, do you know if kZenExplorer and KIO::njb share any code? I downloaded
> the kzenexplorer source code as a reference but it's entirely possible that
> they use the same code for interfacing with the jukebox.

Nothing, apart from the actual calls to libnjb, AFAICT. All in all,
KZenExplorer seems to be much better written, but on the same token,
everything is spread out in more files than in KIO::njb (where nearly all the
njb code is in njb.cpp and njb.h).

> I have a 30 GB Zen Xtra, with the last firmware version to use the PDE
> protocol (the one libnjb speaks). There is a 2.x series firmware now
> available, but it speaks an entirely new protocol--MTP. I won't go into the
> details of that other than to say that there is a library very similar to
> libnjb called libmtp that is in the works for this firmware and other
> similar devices. It is not as mature as libnjb but already does most basic
> functions. it's definitely something that someone could work on for amaroK,
> as there are likely to be more and more devices on the market that use this
> protocol--I would say eventually most non-iPod players will eschew any
> proprietary/custom protocols like PDE or whatever the iRiver players use
> for this.

I know of MTP and libmtp, but since my player doesn't have anything to do with
that, it never really interested me... :-)

--
"Where shall  I  begin, please your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,