Summary of my arguments _pro_ name change

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Thu Jun 1 21:31:00 UTC 2006

Let me summarize my arguments _pro_ name change, which I've been pondering on
for some time. I've been uncomfortable with the current name for about a
year, and increasingly so since Amarok has been getting more press and I'm
seeing the name misspelt.

1) Misspelling of the name is inevitable. In many languages (e.g. French) it's
downright an error and unacceptable to start a sentence without a capital
letter. So in official media it is always going to be spelt "AmaroK" at the
start of a sentence, and possibly also in mid sentence. We're provoking this
misspelling.

Here are some excerpts from the Helix engine desktop file:

Comment[et]=AmaroKi plugin
Comment[fr]=Module pour AmaroK

2) It was a funny idea when Amarok was young, but nowadays it just seems
quirky.

3) The name is unusual enough not to require additional attention from special
capitalization.

4) Amarok is intended to be a software for all desktops, not just KDE. The
capital K suggests that it's a KDE only application.

5) Changing the name earlier is easier than later, considering that our
popularity is still growing.

6) The Amarok logo does in no way reflect the current spelling. If anything,
it looks like "amarOk".

7) The various misspellings hurt name branding. There should be one brand
"Amarok", and misspelling weakens our brand.

--
Mark