Fwd: ATF: Stop spreading FUD about other media players

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Jul 21 20:51:49 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
> Such a ruby script would be a great idea.
>
> As for allowing metadata changes, a new AmarokConfig option could
> probably be added fairly easily that works with the existing ATF
> option to control whether or not it actually writes to the tag, so
> that you can use uniqueids but disallow writes at the moment.
>
> The only sticking point there would be that if we add that option, as
> well as (perhaps) an option to store statistics in the files, then we
> start (perhaps) needing more room in the Configuration window, and we
> all know how Ian feels about that :-D

Yes we do. :) There's no reason to turn off the read-only features of
ATF (is there?) so it seems like the only thing that should be turned
off when you turn off ATF is it writing tags to the files. Amarok
would detect ATF tags that are there and update the stat table when it
notices a moved filed etc. Thats just one option.

Writing statistics to files is silly and ultimately doesn't scale to
stuff like labels.  So lets not worry about that.