Fwd: ATF: Stop spreading FUD about other media players

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Jul 21 17:46:13 UTC 2006

Quoting Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu>:

> On 7/21/06, Martin Aumueller <aumueller at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
>> I think this is exactly the point why it is necessary to have it
>> configurable.
>> This is the only downside of ATF, as I see it. If you happen to already have
>> unique ids within your files from some other source, there is no reason to
>> not use all the ATF features.
> Martin we talked about this in IRC and you are really making no sense.
> There are no other applications that use the uniqueid tag. The eyeD3
> script is the only other thing I've seen that is aware of them at all.
> And as I explained to you and as Jefferai does, they are indexed by
> application name.

Because of the fact that no one else really uses UFID frames, the only
app I've seen so far that can even show them is eyeD3 (which I commend
for its completeness).  Note that id3lib should, but only if you're
using ID3v2.3...

> Though iTunes adds a bunch of crap to the comment tag which I suppose
> could be used, though their purpose is unknown. But lets not add such
> complexity until we get all the rough edges currently in SVN sorted
> out.

One tag is for podcasts; another is for normalization.  Those are the
only two iTunes comment tags I know of.

> This could conceivably make sense, so that people could turn it off if
> they didn't want to add tags to additional songs or something while
> retaining the benefits of existing tags. Or for instance, like a ruby
> script could probably be made to tag Amarok-compatible uniqueids using
> rubytag++ or eyeD3. This might be useful for people working over slow
> NFS.

Such a ruby script would be a great idea.

As for allowing metadata changes, a new AmarokConfig option could
probably be added fairly easily that works with the existing ATF
option to control whether or not it actually writes to the tag, so
that you can use uniqueids but disallow writes at the moment.

The only sticking point there would be that if we add that option, as
well as (perhaps) an option to store statistics in the files, then we
start (perhaps) needing more room in the Configuration window, and we
all know how Ian feels about that :-D

--Jeff