dynamic collection merge

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Wed Jul 19 17:34:54 UTC 2006

* Colin Guthrie [Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:42:44 +0100]:

> While I can't say for sure, I'd image that this would need a plugin.

> I remember the original author asking me for the output of some commands
> to determine what information was given to me about my NFS mounts.

> I think the important thing to note is that you need to determin the
> origin of the mount (e.g. the server) in order to know that the songs in
> your dynamic collection come from the same place and hense why the mount
> point itself is irrelevant. I'd imagine that the plugin is relatively
> simple and would really just be a wrapper to create a "unique identifier
> of the server/export path". Which amarok than than use.

Fair enough. If the author needs any info about sshfs mounts, I'll be
reading the list.

> I'm not 100% sure how this will handle mirrored collections. e.g. I have
> a load of music at home which I access on my laptop via NFS. I have a
> mirror of this music (or a backup - it took me ages to rip all those CDs
> and I really don't want to loose them!) at my work on a removeable HD
> which I can plug into my laptop and mount on NFS. While the songs come
> from different media it would be nice to have them share the same
> metadata (e.g. playcounts, scores etc. but I think this setup is really
> quite complex and probably beyond the skope of this feature.

This would be Extremely Neat And Would Rock My World (TM). In my setup,
I have:

  - all my music in my server at home (say, 60GB)
  - a subset of that music in a local directory in my laptop (say, 20GB)

When I'm working at home (normally in my laptop), I sshfs mount the 60GB
on the laptop, and listen via network. When I'm away, I listen only to
the reduced set, the 20GB, in local. It'd be very cool if amaroK would
have a mechanism to flag those as the same.

Maybe if I get bored one day I can look into the amaroK sources again. ;-)

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                                      Listening to: Jewel - Down so long