dynamic collection merge

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 19 16:42:44 UTC 2006

Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Maximilian Kossick [Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:47:30 +0200]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> That's not quite correct. The generic plugin should handle neither NFS/SMB nor
>> CD/DVD filesystems. NFS/SMB filesystems are handled by two additional
>> plugins.
>
> I still haven't had time to try it, so I'm asking: is sshfs supported? I
> believe it's becoming a pretty common alternative to NFS for personal
> use, now that kernels >= 2.6.16 are provided by most distributions.

While I can't say for sure, I'd image that this would need a plugin.

I remember the original author asking me for the output of some commands
to determine what information was given to me about my NFS mounts.

I think the important thing to note is that you need to determin the
origin of the mount (e.g. the server) in order to know that the songs in
your dynamic collection come from the same place and hense why the mount
point itself is irrelevant. I'd imagine that the plugin is relatively
simple and would really just be a wrapper to create a "unique identifier
of the server/export path". Which amarok than than use.

All of this is complete heresay and just what I think is done.

I'm not 100% sure how this will handle mirrored collections. e.g. I have
a load of music at home which I access on my laptop via NFS. I have a
mirror of this music (or a backup - it took me ages to rip all those CDs
and I really don't want to loose them!) at my work on a removeable HD
which I can plug into my laptop and mount on NFS. While the songs come
from different media it would be nice to have them share the same
metadata (e.g. playcounts, scores etc. but I think this setup is really
quite complex and probably beyond the skope of this feature. Perhaps
this is what ATF can provide (not been keeping up to date enoguh of late
to know what it really is!)?

Dynamic Collections will still be an essential feature for me none the
less :)

Col.