JACK support for amarok

Andrew Turner andrewturner512 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:13:58 UTC 2006

Amarok's aRts support was quite buggy, with many users reporting
problems. Added to that, other engines such as xine are far more
capable, and aRts itself will be scrapped for KDE4. Therefore keeping
it around seemed to be doing more harm than good.

The rôle of engines in Amarok requires them to decode the streams or
files, and then output the result to the selected audio sink (eg ALSA,
OSS, JACK, ESD).

The two recommended engines in Amarok are xine and Helix/Realplayer.
Both of these will not output directly to JACK as far as I can tell.
However, It is possible to get xine to output the decoded stream to
aRts, which you may find convenient, and has none of the downsides of
getting aRts to decode the stream itself.

There is a gstreamer output plugin for JACK, however Amarok does not
yet support gstreamer 0.10 well enough to recommend its use, although
it is being worked on. In the meantime, gstreamer 0.8 support has been
removed, as it is considered deprecated.

Andrew