Ideas about artist names and collection

Alf B Lervaag alfborge at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Jul 3 08:04:51 UTC 2006

Arne Kamola wrote:
> 1. It would be cool to add to an artist name alternative names so that
> all songs of the alternative name move to the normal name (like on
> last.fm). Example: the artist Rob Dougan did some songs under the
> "pseudonym" Rob D. In an right-click option you add the name "Rob D" to
> "Rob Dougan" and all songs of "Rob D" can now be found under "Rob
> Dougan" and the name "Rob D" disappear from the list.

I totally agree with this.  Since I mostly listen to Jazz from the Big
Band era, I have quite a lot of instances of this.  The bands used to
record under different names a lot for various reasons, and so while the
crew stays mostly the same, the name they record under changes.

> 2. If artists do songs together and have names like "Artist A & Artist
> B" oder "Artist A feat. Artist B", it would be cool to find those songs
> under the names "Artist A" and "Artist" B.

This is even more interesting to me.  But while I have many of the above
examples, I also want to be able to store and search for the names in
the band line up.  Since the band leaders had different crews at
different times and the quality of the music very much depends on the
quality of the crew, I find it quite convenient to be able to see who's
playing what (or just who's playing) in a track.  For now I've been
using the comment field for this, but it would be really nice to have
this information in the artist list.

I've been thinking of utilizing the fact that ogg and flac can have
multiple artist tags.  I'm not sure how to solve this with mp3s and
other formats however.  Another problem is how to present this
information in the playlist.  Maybe just display the name of the leader
in the playlist and provide an easy way to show the full list...

--
Alf