: Bugs in 3.4.1

Joe Rabinoff rabinoff at math.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 3 01:07:02 UTC 2006

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://amarok.kde.org from:
Joe Rabinoff <rabinoff at math.stanford.edu>

Howdy,

I'm pretty sure I was the first person to download and compile the 3.4.1 release, so I'm going to try to be the first to annoy you with a bug report (+ fix) too!

First: the function upload_callback in src/vis/libvisual.cpp doesn't seem to have been updated to be compatible with libvisual 0.4.0.  The audio->plugpcm[][] array seems to be unused now; looking in the libvisual 0.4.0 input plugin code, the right thing to do is probably something like:

    static int
    upload_callback( VisInput*, VisAudio *audio, void* )
    {
      VisBuffer buf;
      visual_buffer_init(&buf, pcm_data, 512, (void (*)(VisBuffer*))NULL);
      visual_audio_samplepool_input(audio->samplepool, &buf,
        VISUAL_AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_44100,
        VISUAL_AUDIO_SAMPLE_FORMAT_S16,
        VISUAL_AUDIO_SAMPLE_CHANNEL_STEREO);

        return 0;
    }

This appears to work for me, although I'm unsure about a couple things:
 (a) if the data size you pass to pcm_data_init is the number of stereo samples, the number of total samples, the number of bytes, or what (I guessed stereo samples)
 (b) I have no idea if amarok always returns 44100 kHz signed 16-bit stereo pcm data

Anyway, I'll let someone competent figure it out.  BTW the old code segfaults now.

Second: being an anal person, the first thing I did when I started the new version of amaroK for the first time was reload my collection, then check for new config options.  Unfortunately, when I clicked on the "Collection" config tab while the collection was being updated, the program crashed.

By the way, has anyone ever suggested / thought about an iPod-style navigator in the Collection tab?  (You know, genra/any + artist/any + album/any.)  If I were to write one, would you include it?

I hope this was useful!

Joe Rabinoff