update vs rescan?

Jocke Andersson ajocke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 00:25:22 UTC 2006

On Thursday December 14 2006 23:32, Andrew Turner wrote:
> You mention putting an update button in the Collection Browser - this
> is what was the case until relatively recently. It is also worth
> noting that the Incremental Update is what happens for most users
> almost every minute when they have "Watch for changes" enabled, and so
> the button is only really necessary for people with that disabled.
Then why show it to the people with folder watching enabled? One of the base
points of interface design is to only show relevant info and useful options
to the user.

> Having said this, it was confusing to many people for things to
> disappear just because they had a certain setting enabled.
I have seen some examples where this has worked out great... Having both
choices in the same menu like it is right now is even more confusing IMHO.

> Another problem that needs to be taken account of in the wording is to
> reassure users that doing a Full Rescan won't lose things like
> statistics (something that once worried me back in my days of
> n00bness).
That is a bit tricky... "Full collection folder rescan"?

//Firetech