Next release: 1.4.5 or 1.5?

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Dec 1 15:56:51 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 05:39, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> * 1.5.0 suggests that it's still new and unstable, which isn't true. It's a
> stable release.

Personally I don't really have an opinion about 1.4.5 vs. 1.5.0, *however*...

In a general sense, I'm leery of us announcing any release as stable.  I think
phrases such as "feedback from testers shows increased stability" are okay;
however, when it all comes down to it, the backtraces keep on coming.  Most
of these are, I know, caused by xine; many more seem to be caused by KDE or
Qt.  In our code we've made huge improvements to stability.  But to the
average user, that doesn't actually matter.  When xine crashes Amarok, most
won't bother to look at the backtrace to find out why; most of them will have
stripped binaries from distribution packages anyways.

My $0.02...

--Jeff