Next release: 1.4.5 or 1.5?

Dan Meltzer hydrogen at notyetimplemented.com
Fri Dec 1 15:52:17 UTC 2006

My 32 cents.

When 1.5 was originally discussed, it was talked about as a refactoring
of code pre-2.0 because kde4 was still a while away.  The current code
is not this.
In the past, middle number release series indicated a lot more time put
into them.  They usually had a lot of reworked code, functionality, and
new features.  The current code is not this.
Renaming it to 1.5 is not magically going to make us be able to do more
promotion, Say "1.5 was released with less changes than 1.4.4" is not
going to really be a good promotion strategy.
I can tell you now that if you name it 1.5 and still hope to release by
the holidays, rokymotion is going to have some trouble getting enough
promo material together.  This next month is the busiest time of the
year for a lot of us, with finals, and then Christmas, and all that.

I say stick with 1.4, it still has a lot of things that can be done in
it, and then look at whether or not making a 1.5 branch makes sense
after that.