Amaroklive and gentoo catalyst

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Tue Aug 29 12:54:18 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 3:40 am, Luca Casagrande wrote:
> > For the next one, I think it may be decided to use kubuntu as the base,
> > although Guti was reviewing the situation with pclos, so it may not be
> > decided.
>
> I thought that you build amaroklive from scratch, adding just what it's
> needed...In my test i made an iso with amarok as the only app on the cd and
> a basic kde installation; as kde has loaded, amarok start in full screen
> mode.

No, It's not like we do a Gentoo stage1 and only add amarok.  We (in the past,
not saying we should always do it this way) start with a base distro and
remove all the stuff we don't need.  This has been beneficial because a lot
of the technical heavy lifting has been done to get the thing to boot on as
many hardware setups as possible.

Just let me make a side comment here, as you have given me the opportunity,
because this has perpetually been a problem with the livecd development (and
Luca, this is not targeted at you, just the process in general).  Everybody
that wants to help seems to want to use their pet distribution, and as such
we risk offending people if we reject the suggestions of using their distro.
I have had at least 4 people in the past volunteer to help only to see them
forget about it when their distro of choice was not used as the base.

pclos was used for practical reasons, (I don't even use it on my production
machines).   So let's have a discussion of what base distro makes the most
sense from a practical and technical standpoint.  What are we going to use
and who is going to do the mastering?  Right now we have four people that
have volunteered to make the iso and they all have suggested different
distros.

> > Artwork is really the holdup, otherwise we would have long ago issued an
> > iso.
>
> No help on this sorry :(

Would you be interested in helping get amaroklive.com into shape.  We need to
update it for the new release.

--
Greg