Amarok 1.4.2 collection scan fails

Florian Genauer fgenauer at gmx.de
Fri Aug 25 15:49:40 UTC 2006

Hi List,

I have used amarok 1.4.1 since a while now and I am quite lucky with it.

Today I tried to use the shiny 1.4.2 but I was not able to scan my
collection.

Some facts to my system:

I am using Debian sarge - and thus I have

ii  libtag1-dev    1.4-4
ii  libtag1c2a     1.4-4
ii  libtagc0       1.4-4
ii  libtagc0-dev   1.4-4

installed on it.

I compiled amarok successfully from source using the following configure
command:

./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix` --enable-mysql --enable-debug=full

When I start amarok, it starts to scan my collection, but suddenly the
scanning process stops giving me an error that taglib might be corrupted. I
reinstalled my taglib packages, but the error still occures. Now I tried to
figure out, wether the scanner has a problem with certain mp3 files, or
wether there might be another problem.

I removed ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc and
started amarok again. Now I choosed only a subdirectory of my mp3
collection in filesystem - I have chosen one of the directory amarok
pointed me to in the previous error messages.

And I was able to read in the whole directory - so it seemes as if amarok
collection scanner process has a problem. So I started the scanning process
again on my whole filesystem subtree where my music files are stored. After
the scanner process fails, I mooved the two mp3's away amarok pointed me
to, and started the scan again.

It stoped again, but it seems to me as if the scan just came one step
further - it complained about the next two files. I iterated theis
procedure several times (of course with the same result).

I have also tried this procedure with a selfcompiled libtag.so.1.4.0 - but
there was no change. I have also tried both SQLite and mysql - this didn't
make any difference.

Please help me - what can I do to make the collection scan complete. If you
need further information about my system - feel free to ask me.

Florian