Only xine? why?

paulc2 at optonline.net paulc2 at optonline.net
Sun Aug 20 07:21:38 UTC 2006

Quoting Torgil Svensson <torgil.svensson at gmail.com>:

>> Because those are Xine specific options. Xine probably should be setup
>> to use the KDE proxy settings, but it currently doesn't do so.
>
> I just can't see that "CDDB Server" and "HTTP Proxy" should be
> engine-specific, even if you use Xine for the functionality right now.
> But maybe it's just me.

I'm afraid its just you - this is the way our engines work.  As a general
principle, allowing the engine to handle this type of stuff allows you to make
more effective use of the specifics of the framework's api.

>> Its Paul the Gstreamer's maintainer's judgement that its currently
>> disabled. It has several open bugs in the bugzilla.
>
> This might be a reason to have [build_gstreamer10=no] , but not
> removing it completely... if the user choses this option, the build
> system could issue a warning.

Well, the trouble is that if we release it off to everyone before its
ready, we
get so many reports - each of which requires invvestigation to determine that
its a duplicate - and this just prevents us from making progress.  Plus
- you'd
be surprise how many people don't care when the problem is with the framework
rather than the Amarok code itself.  They just want it to work - and we
want it
to work for them, so we dont want to enable something just to give them
another
option.  At least not until it (and the framework) is ready.

Please don't take this all wrong though - I think it would be great if you
started exercising the engine a bit - and I'll respond to the bug
reports.  But
you are obviously an experienced user, so I dont expect you'll send in
BRs that
do little more than take time to answer.