ATF: Stop spreading FUD about other media players

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Aug 18 14:24:47 UTC 2006

Quoting Alf B Lervaag <alfborge at stud.ntnu.no>:

> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> > I want to make it clear that the issues are not resolved. Without a
>> > standard to follow, no other application can implement this
>>
>> Again, no one expressed any interest to me about supporting it. My email
>> address is on the Wiki page that you know so well.  Emailing me would not
>> have been hard.
>
> Actually, this is not quite correct.  I talked to you about this feature
> and agreed that it was neat but that you should document it properly so
> other media players could add support for this without having to go
> digging in the source code.
> If I remembered correctly, you didn't see any point in making such
> documentation since this was an Amarok feature and if other people
> wanted to support it they could make their own implementation.  Might be
> I misunderstood you though.

Now that you mention it, I do remember somebody asking in the chat
channel about it.  The person didn't give a name and didn't follow up,
so I forgot about the conversation.  I assume it was you then.

As far as "not seeing a point," I don't really see a point in the
specifics of how it is implemented in Amarok, since how it's
implemented in *any* media player will highly depend on that player's
structure.  However, I'll try to remember to put the Amarok owner ID
and the valid characters for its UIDs on the Wiki, which I need to
update soon anyways.

--Jeff