podcast downloads

Cerneels Bart bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:48:18 UTC 2006

Hi David,
2006/8/13, David Nason <dpn48312 at gmail.com>:

> Hi:
> It appears I encountered some kind of error when I tried to compose and
> send you a message on http://amarok.kde.org/component/option,com_contact/Itemid,55/
>

> So far, I love what I see in this AmaroK product.
>
> I think the user documentation needs to say more about podcasts. For
> example, after I have added a URL on the playlists page, and I rightclick a
> program and click Download Media, where is that file getting saved to?  ( I
> found the file the hard way; others might not ever find it.)  And, how can I
> change where the file gets saved to? (After all,
> /home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/amarok/podcasts/data/  is a hidden folder,
> and is a long way to navigate down.)

When using a mediadevice plugin to transfer podcasts or listen to them in
Amarok, the location doesn't matter/ isn't needed by the user. The
downloaded files are only used as cache.
However, if you want to have all files in a easily accessible folder you can
change the path in the configuration dialog of a channel. It's also possible
to change them all at one by right clicking on the red podcast folder and
choosing change settings of children.

I also discovered by experimenting that I could drag the podcast program
> name from the playlist to a folder, and it would download it there, but in
> that case, the name of the resulting mp3 did not contain all the same useful
> information to tell me what program it was. It would be nice if I could do
> that somehow.

Might be some code in playlistbrowser (?) not using the filename of localUrl
in the db?

Thank you.

--
> From
>    David Nason
> Weblog = http://home.earthlink.net/%7Edavid.nason/blog.html
> Word of the day = http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/
> Scripture of the day = http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/today.htm
> Running Novell SuSE Linux 9.3 with email by Gmail.

Might be a good idea to have some documentation about using podcasting on
the wiki.