Fwd: ATF: Stop spreading FUD about other media players

Joe Wreschnig piman at sacredchao.net
Thu Aug 17 20:30:48 UTC 2006

On Fri Jul 21 13:35:56 CEST 2006, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> I'm a) not lying and b) didn't specifically target QL, since I listed
> pretty much every player.  He's just a defensive prick.

Actually, I pointed to the wiki entry where you added QL to the list. It
was not in your original list of "pretty much every player", you went
out of your way to add it.

> 2)  Seems like he has never looked at the ID3v2 specification.  Oh well.  I
> guess this is too hard (from the ATF Wiki page):
>
> Many of the most common digital audio formats, such as MP3...have a metadata
> field that can be used to store a unique identifier (UID). In fact, ID3v2 has
> an explicit field precisely for this functionality...

I've seen this on the wiki, and also your blog, but it's clear you're
the one who doesn't understand the ID3v2 format. The UFID frame takes an
owner subkey[0], which is required to be a URL. Without that owner
subkey, it's impossible to implement support without conflicting with
other potential users of UFID. For example, MusicBrainz also uses UFID,
with a subkey of "http://musicbrainz.org".

Secondly, in your tests on the TagLib mailing list[1] you're using an
invalid UFID owner, since it's not a URL. Please go read the ID3v2
specification yourself.

Thirdly, that only covers ID3. There's no documentation on what to do
for APEv2 or Vorbis tags.

Kudos to you for a neat (if misnamed) feature. But stop picking on other
software that doesn't support your undocumented methods, and stop
pretending it's trivial to understand once you understand ID3v2, which
you don't.

Sorry if you don't like my footnotes; in most circles, citing factual
documents makes you more credible, not less.

[0] http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#sec4.1
[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2006-July/000481.html
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at sacredchao.net>