Excited to get started

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Jan 9 13:04:59 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:59, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all -- I'm excited to get started on the Handbook now that the
> holidays are behind us. I found a couple of useful sites for us:
>
> http://www.writingopensource.com/ (EmmaJane's project -- see more
> about her and her project in the latest Full Circle magazine, where
> she is interviewed)
>
> That site linked to FLOSSManuals.net. Take a look at the first manual,
> for Ardour: http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Introduction . We might
> get some ideas about organization and presentation from that.
>
> I seriously think we should consider publishing our manual on that
> site when we finish it. Of course we will have our
> version-in-the-works at our wiki, am I right?

No we need to get it into proper KDE documentation to have it
translated and available offline within Amarok.

> I haven't plowed through the entire Google Doc yet, but I'd like to
> see us put together an outline of what we want, first - and how we
> want to present the manual.
>
> I haven't seen the gitorious version -- is there a way to view that?
>

> I've been hanging out in the IRC channel since I got interested in
> this project, to see what sort of problems our users are encountering,
> and how best to help them. We've got a lot of good resources already
> available, and I don't see this Handbook as being an enormous amount
> of work for any of us, if we first decide what we want, how we want it
> organized, and presented.
>
> I've heard the advice many times, 'measure twice, cut once.' I think
> we can apply that to our Handbook, and make it the best (and easiest
> to keep current) in the FLOSS world. :-)

Jep sounds good :)
I think the best way to get started is making a list of the problems
people actually have often. IRC, mailinglist and forum should give a
good overview.

Cheers and rock the docs! :D
Lydia

--