Excited to get started

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:59:08 CET 2010

Hi all -- I'm excited to get started on the Handbook now that the
holidays are behind us. I found a couple of useful sites for us:

http://www.writingopensource.com/ (EmmaJane's project -- see more
about her and her project in the latest Full Circle magazine, where
she is interviewed)

That site linked to FLOSSManuals.net. Take a look at the first manual,
for Ardour: http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Introduction . We might
get some ideas about organization and presentation from that.

I seriously think we should consider publishing our manual on that
site when we finish it. Of course we will have our
version-in-the-works at our wiki, am I right?

I haven't plowed through the entire Google Doc yet, but I'd like to
see us put together an outline of what we want, first - and how we
want to present the manual.

I haven't seen the gitorious version -- is there a way to view that?

I've been hanging out in the IRC channel since I got interested in
this project, to see what sort of problems our users are encountering,
and how best to help them. We've got a lot of good resources already
available, and I don't see this Handbook as being an enormous amount
of work for any of us, if we first decide what we want, how we want it
organized, and presented.

I've heard the advice many times, 'measure twice, cut once.' I think
we can apply that to our Handbook, and make it the best (and easiest
to keep current) in the FLOSS world. :-)

Valorie

--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .