Some thoughts and hints for the upcoming Manual

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Aug 23 19:30:40 CEST 2010

Hi Pete,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 15:38, pete daniels
<pete at guerrillatechsupport.com> wrote:
> On Friday 20 August 2010 07:59:42 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> *snip*
>> Besides getting familiar with the mandatory typographic guidelines[2]
>> and wiki basics[3], there are a few things all contributors should
>> keep in mind:
>>
>> * The Category:
>>
>> Please add [[Category:Amarok]] to all pages and in the comments of the
>> images or other files you upload. This makes it easy to find all
>> content, especially for sharing images and files. Have a look here to
>> see the already existing items in the Amarok category:
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Category:Amarok
>>
>> * Page navigation:
>>
>> Add the following navigation template at the bottom of each page, and
>> update it accordingly when new pages are added:
>>
>> {{Prevnext2
>>
>> | prevpage=path/to/article | nextpage=path/to/article
>> | prevtext=previous section | nexttext=next section
>> | index= Amarok/Manual | indextext=Back Menu
>>
>> }}
>>
>> This adds a nice navigation bar at the bottom, and allows browsing
>> through the Manual pages quite easily. You can find more information
>> about it in the template page [4]
>>
>> * Tags and Templates:
>>
>> Always add the {{Construction}} tag to all pages that are not
>> finished. "Finished" means that a page is complete and ready to be
>> translated, all typographic rules respected.
>>
>> I also created a new template for Todo: just add {{Todo|<details>}} at
>> the exact location and it will add a red icon that allows to see Todos
>> easier. For more information see also [5]
>>
>> If the content contains code modules, make sure to use the Syntax
>> highlighting [6]. See [7] as an example. There should usually not be
>> much code in the User Manual, but let's make the few modules look good
>
> This is great info, thank you, Myriam. I didn't get to this til just now, but
> this would have answered a couple questions I had over the weekend (as someone
> on #rokymotion pointed out when they didn't think I was listening, ahem ;)
>
> On this note, I'm presently combing through the Quick Start Guide to make sure
> all the images are properly tagged (although it looks like someone else
> already did this, so thanks to whoever that was). Does anyone know how to add
> a comment to an existing image if I do find one?

If you find an untagged image, you can edit it in this page:

http://userbase.kde.org/File:ImageName.png

Just replace ImageName with the real image name, then edit the page,
you should be able to add the [[Category:Amarok]] tag in the Edit
window

> -pete, who does so read these emails :p

Great :) I think we just sent a bit many over the last few days, but
the desire to get the QSG to the translators was very high and Valorie
and I tried to push it out ASAP.

Now let's tackle the Manual :)

I worked on the
http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/ConfiguringAmarok page during
the last few days, so far it looks done, but some proofreading is very
welcome, since English is not my native language. Valorie already did
some editing, but more eyes are always helpful.

I still have to do the Layout configuration part, but that is left for
tomorrow :)

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org