Amarok handbook

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 08:37:53 CET 2009

I will try to answer this.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Handbook is OLD, and evidently not supported. On the forum, I
> spoke up and offered to help update the handbook, but I've been
> looking around, and it looks like the Handbook has been outdated in
> favor of the wiki at

Yes, the Handbook is OLD. And since it had not been updated for Amarok
2 at all, it was removed from within the application as it really amde
no sense having it there in the current state where it as likely to do
more harm than good. I dont think the idea for he wiki to supersede it
though.

> Moving it into another format at some later date will be much simpler,
> if it's mostly current, correct?

Very likely. I am not a dockbook expert though.

> Ugh, googling around before I send this, I see:
> http://gitorious.org/amarok-handbook which is dated 4 Oct 2009. Is
> *this* the active project? Author  giofni, * linda.hald.nielsen
> @gm…l.com
>
> And this: http://osdir.com/ml/kde-commits/2009-09/msg06648.html , titled
> [Amarok] Add first draft of new Amarok Handbook At this poi: msg#06648
> kde-commits, dated Sat Sep 19 20:18:41 2009 +0200, Author: Linda Hald
> Nielsen <linda.hald.nielsen at xxxxxxxxx>

I will try to answer for Linda here as she just left for work.

The history goes something like this.

A while back, the amarok team started a google doc in order to get as
many people as possible to help with a new handbook (I will send you
an invite to this doc). The thing is, that despite some people putting
a significant effort into this doc, it currently has no overall
structure, much of the info is already severely outdated, it contains
some things that are copied directly from other sources and might not
even belong in the handbook and most of all it is _huge_. It is my own
belief that using this document as it is will require more work in
order to edit it into a sane format than starting over and copying out
the good parts from this doc one by one.

So Linda decided to try to start from scratch and keep it very simple
initially with the idea that a small but correct handbook is better
than a huge one where much of the info is outdated already.

You are more than welcome to help with this. I dont know if if Linda
has any recent changes lying around uncommitted, but I will make sure
she commits them if she does.

I hope this answers your questions.

- Nikolaj